Friday, July 20, 2012

Mangalorean Idlis

Yesterday I was really dog hungry by noon after a lot of travelling. I rushed with mom to a small place that is very near to my home. It is a Mangalore based restaurant that caters to tastes of authentic Mangalorean dishes. Since I was real hungry, I ordered for Idli as it s usually served faster and easy to gallop also.

And I was surprised by the way it was presented. The typical Mangalorean Idli, wrapped and baked inside mango leaves. The leaves actually add flavor to the dish. This was third time I had this delicacy and loved it more. Although most of my South Indian readers would be aware of this Idli, let me remind you the tempting look of the smoky hot soft Idlies.

Have a look!












2 comments:

  1. Took me back home when i saw these pics of what you called as Mangalorean idli's.. Its called Kottige (In Tulu )/Khotto(In Konkani) and these are Idlis Steamed in Jack fruit Leaves.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh is it? That guy told me they are mango leaves! :-\
    Yes!! Kottige, that was they said, when I asked for Idli... There were so many Jackfruit based dishes out there including Jackfruit bajji and Jackfruit curry too!
    I'm glad the post took you back home :)
    Thanks for coming... Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete